Wednesday, December 5, 2007

What do you say?

When people ask you about how to get into freelance writing?

I use to get all wide-eyed and congratulate them on making the decision and then proceed to give them blow by blow information that helped me, pros and cons, etc. I would write a eBook's worth of information for them and then wait for their genius to be unloaded on the world.

For the majority of folks, I'm still waiting. My very business minded friend said I should charge folks a consulting fee that way I don't waste my time. :0)

And it is a waste of time, but silly me, I thought I was helping to start careers... I think people are turned off by the idea that successful freelancing takes time. My day consists of more work than most people probably attempt in their corporate jobs. Freelancers, successful ones at least, work hard to get work, market themselves, complete work, balance work and family, and find more work.

I blame the media (ironic, no?) for perpetuating the image of the writer who goes to the spa for the majority of the day, gets good news and money from their agent and floats off to write a little.

Don't get me wrong. Freelancers do that. It is usually, though, after they've put in serious time sweating out that book proposal (kudos Dawn), hitting the pavement looking for gigs and spending time researching and honing their craft.

Most jobs are like that: you have to work at them to be any good. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got bon bons to eat....

No comments: