Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Who do you write for?

Writers get this question all the time. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't count Vanity Fair or Essence among our long and distinguished lists. Have you ever found yourself reciting half your resume until finally a publication clicks and they say "Oh, really?" in that impressed tone.

It's not like I want to spend 30 seconds reviewing the resume, but people look at you with an eager expression that doesn't leave until you satisfy their curiosity with name brand publications. Sometimes I take the time to explain almost everything has text and needs content and there are writers for that. But that's a longer explanation than my resume recitation routine, which I can perform amazingly fast. Kind of like spinning plates. Cue circus music in the background.

Or if you're a magazine and Web writer, people seem disappointed you haven't written a book. And don't get me started on blogging. You could have the Brink's truck backing up to your house everyday and people will still say "Oh, everyone has a blog."

Am I putting to much stock into what people think or is it just the basic human need for appreciation for what you do? How do you do it? How do you explain what you do?


1 comment:

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh, timely question!

Depends on the context. When I'm trying to get corporate work I say, "I write copy." and then tell 'em what I can do. (Brochures, blogs, blah blah blah)

When I try to explain what creative nonfiction is people are even more confused. Seems like for some folks writing only matters if it's fiction.