Monday, August 20, 2007

How do you write with kids around?

It's after 1 a.m. in writer land and I just put my 3 month old down for bed - again. Somehow both my children have "spider sense." They know when I have a huge workload and deadlines looming. They cry, refuse to take their regular naps, or suddenly get the idea to cover themselves in various, multiple-bath-needing messes. Does my stress high level contribute to my children's?

We freelancers, moms in particular, think working from home is the solution to all things. Many of us skipped away from our jobs, belongings in a box, bellies round and full of humanity and the best laid plans. We planned how we would write great novels, articles or blogs while making dinner. Tell me you didn't have a fantasy of words pouring from your soul while your baby napped and the washing machine whirled.

Instead the naps are all too brief, playtime all too appealing and a good night's sleep - elusive. Freelancers live a hustler's life. We hustle for the next gig, hustle to meet deadlines and hustle to meet the needs of our families. Each writer's plan is as different as the next, so how do you do it? How do write with the kids around?

No comments: